A selection of frequently asked questions about Total Control's superadvanced motorcycle rider training courses.

Q. Do I need a motorcycle licence to take the Total Control classes?

A. Yes. This class is for riders that already have a current motorcycle licence with a motorcycle endorsement. Total Control classes do not teach beginners how to operate or ride a motorcycle. The course does not prepare students for taking any driving tests for the purposes of obtaining a motorcycle licence.

Q. Do I have to bring my own motorcycle to the class?

A. Yes. Students must provide their own motorcycles for the class. Motorcycles used for the range exercises must be street-legal and have current road tax and MOT. In addition, students must have a motorcycle insurance policy in force. Students must provide evidence of licence and insurance policy at the start of the class.

Q. What kind of motorcycle do I need for the class?

A. Virtually any road legal motorcycle can do the class. We have taught students on a wide variety of bikes ranging in size from 250cc to 2,000cc or more. No matter whether you have a sportsbike, cruiser, tourer, giant trailie, supermoto or scooter, it will be just perfect for the class.

Q. I ride a sportsbike, what am I going to get out of riding in a car park?

A. More than you'd imagine. The range exercises provide a laboratory where you can examine your technique under a microscope. You can improve your cornering technique in a reduced-risk, controlled environment with instant instructor feedback. While the class is focused on street riding, many of our students also participate in track days. In addition, road racers have taken the class to improve their cornering skills and lower their lap times.

Q. Is Total Control a race or a racing school?

A. No. The class is targeted for road riders of all types of motorcycles. Only one motorcycle is allowed on the range at any one time, there is no timekeeping, and it is not a competition. However, if you are interested in competition, this is an ideal course to prepare you for participating in a track day.

Q. I ride a heavy cruiser (eg Gold Wing or full touring rig with floor boards). What can I get out of the class?

A. The opportunity to expand your limits. Many touring riders fear dragging hard parts or do drag parts in higher speed turns. Our curriculum will show you how to use body position to avoid or minimise touching down when going through a turn. This will allow you to either travel faster through a given radius turn or more importantly, allow you to turn tighter in an emergency situation.

Q. I've only been riding a short time. Can I take the Total Control class?

A. Total Control is for experienced riders. Our minimum requirement is 3,000 miles or one year of road riding. You must be comfortable with the basic operation of your motorcycle including up and down shifting, controlling the throttle, braking and turning at normal road riding speeds.

Q. What type of riding gear do I need to take a Total Control class?

A. Protective riding gear is required during the range exercises. Protective gear includes a riding jacket, riding trousers, gloves, boots that cover the ankle and an approved helmet (full faced helmet is recommended but not required). Jeans and fingerless gloves are not allowed, but Kevlar jeans will be accepted. Race compound tyres are not allowed!

Q. Do I need to do anything to my motorcycle prior to taking a Total Control class?

A. Your motorcycle should be well maintained. This includes the following:

Your tyres should have sufficient tread (at least 3mm). Air pressure will be checked before the class starts.
Your bike should not overheat while stopped with the motor running on a hot day.
On liquid cooled bikes, check the coolant level.
Check the engine oil level.
Your charging system must function properly, and a relatively new battery is highly recommended because you will be starting the bike frequently.
Make sure your brakes are in good working order.
No motorcycles with leaking fluids will be allowed on the range. This includes engine oil, transmission fluid, petrol, engine coolant, brake fluid or anything else that may leak from a motorcycle.
Absolutely no race tyres or race compound tyres are allowed even if they are road legal. These tyres will not get hot enough to maintain traction during the class.

Q. My motorcycle has an aftermarket exhaust system. Is that a problem?

A. The Total Control location can be sensitive to loud exhaust noise. If you are using the factory installed stock exhaust system, exhaust noise will not be an issue. If you have an aftermarket exhaust and you want to know how loud is too loud, e-mail Total Control for more information

Q. How much of the Total Control class is in the classroom vs. on the range?

A. The Total Control ARC is 40% classroom and 60% range exercises. The classroom secessions are spread throughout the day. This gives riders a chance to rest, a necessity when the weather is hot.

Q. How is the Total Control class taught?

A. Total Control consists of six modules. These exercises include; throttle/brake transitions, mental state, corner vision, corner entry and line selection, mid-corner body position and corner exits, corner transitions (figure eights) and basic motorcycle suspension. There is a 10-minute break between each module.

Q. What are the Total Control range exercises like?

A. Range exercises are practiced on 40-foot circles. Two pairs of 40-foot circles (marked using small rubber traffic cones) accommodate up to six students each. New skills introduced for each exercise builds on the previous exercise. The first couple of range exercises are deceptively simple and form the basis for the more challenging exercise later in the day.

Q. How long is the class and what about lunch?

A. Total Control classes are eight-hours in length including an hour for lunch. Class starts at 9:00am and finishes around 5:00pm. A 40-60 minute lunch break takes place about noon. A light lunch is included with plenty of snacks and water provided. (Please e-mail Total Control for more details or if you have any special dietary requirements).

Q. How many students are in a Total Control class?

A. Total Control classes can have up to 12 students depending on class dates. The instructor to student ratio is one instructor for each group of six students. Only one student at one time is allowed on the range and is always supervised by an instructor.

Q. I'm a lady rider. Are the courses suitable for ladies, or do you run ladies only classes?

A. Ladies are of course welcome at any Total Control class. Because the on-range exercises are carried out at quite slow speeds and because there is only one rider on the range at any one time, we find that the experience is far less intimidating than a track or road school. Ladies only classes are run from time to time and you will find details of these in the course schedule, or email Total Control for more details.

Q. I'm part of a motorcycle club or group. Is it possible to book an entire course exclusively for club members?

A. Total control classes are just perfect for groups. If you would like to book a course for the exclusive use of your club, then this can be easily arranged. If you can fill a 6 person group, then you only need to pay for 5 places. For a twelve person group you only need pay for 10. Please e-mail Total Control for more information on group discounts.

Q. What happens if, the weather is bad on the day?

A. Total Control classes will still be held, even in rain. If several days prior to the class, the weather looks questionable, the class may be cancelled. Courses will be rescheduled or monies refunded if the weather is severe enough to cause class cancellation.

Q. What about Total Control training site liability insurance?

A. All of the Total Control locations have liability insurance. This insurance coverage is only for liability risks while you are participating in a Total Control class. You must have your own insurance policy for the motorcycle you are riding. Please have evidence of your insurance with you when you arrive at the class.

Q. What qualification do the Total Control instructors have?

A. All Total Control instructors have received intensive training. In addition to the formal training, instructors are supervised by a certified master instructor until they are comfortable with teaching the class by themselves. Instructors must have at least five years of riding experience. Refresher courses are given on an annual basis.

Q. Do Students get a certificate after taking a Total Control class?

A. Yes. Each student will be posted a certificate with their name on it after taking the class.

Q. When are the Total Control classes held?

A. Total Control classes are held during the weekends between April and October. The schedule is located here.

Q. Can I bring my spouse/significant other as passenger? We'd like to take the class as a couple.

A. Sorry, No. Although many couples have been successfully taught in the USA and all the lessons apply equally to one-up or two-up riding, there is currently an insurance issue with two-up riding. We are working on having that restriction removed, so keep checking the website for news.

Back to top!